Friday, July 13, 2012

food for 72 hour kit update

Here is the revised food list. Some meals still seem a bit strange, but overall I'm glad I got the calories for each day balanced out a bit. I want to put some jerky and hard candy for snacking in the packs too. I still need to find a replacement for the tuna and chicken for my vegetarian. The laughing cow cheese said it needed refrigeration (though I had read online that they didn't...and maybe they don't, but I'm not going to do that at this point) and the jerky/cheese stick combos I saw at the store all expired within 5 months, so if I rotated that every 6 months, I could do it. I haven't decided yet.

As for cost, I'm sure I could have gotten some things cheaper, but I didn't want to spend too much energy on that...I wilt quickly when it comes to shopping.

The "problem" with the Progresso soup is that it weighs a lot, so I have moved it to lunch on the first day so it doesn't need to be carted around. Since my aim was to only have to heat something once a day, that means that the oatmeal originally scheduled for the first day has been moved to the second day.

The food pack now weighs in at 6 lbs. Calories average to 1600-1645 a day. The total cost (minus the jerky and hard candy) is $13.85 for 3 days worth of food. That doesn't seem too bad, considering ... x 7... so about $100 for 3 days. Wow. My monthly food budget would have to double if we ate like this all the time.

Day 1
(1475 to 1615 cal--$5.17)

Breakfast on the Go (180 cal--$.54)
cup of applesauce (100 cal--$.25)
3 mini fruit roll ups (120 cal--$.33)

Progresso soup (160-300 cal*--$1.58)
crackers (170 cal-- ~$.14 cost) ~ means about
fruit smiles (100 cal--$.14)

Power bar (250 cal--$1.38)
pudding cup (120 cal--$.25)
dried fruit (~275 cal-- ~$.56/lb) this varies

*the calories vary by flavor (80-150) and a can is 2 servings, so the calories would be 160-300

Day 2
(1,670 cal --$4.11)

2 oatmeal packets (320 cal-$.34)
fruit cup (peaches or pears) (70 cal--$.53)
hot chocolate (90 cal--$.13)

peanut butter (250 cal--$.34)
crackers (170 cal-- ~$.14)
granola bar (100 cal--$.17)
pudding cup (120 cal--$.25)

Bumble Bee chicken salad  (140 cal--$1.28)
granola bar (100 cal--$.17)
fruit smiles (100 cal--$.14)
fruitables fruit drink (40 cal--$.37)
cookie package (170 cal-- ~$.25)


Day 3
(1,650 cal--$4.57)

2 oatmeal packets (320 cal-$.34)
fruit cup (mandarin oranges) (70 cal--$.53)
hot chocolate (90 cal--$.13)

Candwich (270 cal--$1.25)
trail mix bar (140 cal--$.42)
fruit smiles (100 cal--$.14)

tuna (70 cal--$.75 w/ coupon)
crackers (170 cal-- ~$.14)
trail mix (300 cal--$.62)
pudding cup (120 cal--$.25)

Still have to figure out the non-food items.

My cabinets are coming along, but I'm not ready to post about that yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment