Saturday, October 11, 2014

summer and the last few months

My great plans for summer changed about 2 weeks into summer, so it's a good thing I started my summer plan about 2 weeks before school got out. I scrapbooked a little, did some family history research, looked at a few online personal finance lessons, and started putting my house in order during that month. I did not sew a quilt or really work in the yard, though.

And then, for some reason, I switched to reading. I read almost constantly. I was in the middle of my Old Testament reading. I was slowly reading the Book of Mormon to earn my Honor Bee. I was reading some books on health and nutrition.

My reading focus changed a little in July when I was called to be a seminary teacher. I stopped reading my health and nutrition books. I speeded up my reading of the Old Testament and started the New Testament when I was done with the Old. And, of course, I read the Doctrine and Covenants since that would be the book of scripture Seminary was using this year. I also had training materials to read and a few in-service lessons to go to. I also started memorizing our 25 scripture mastery scriptures for the year.

The first week of school I was 500+ miles away at BYU's Education Week with my sister. I missed the first week of seminary as well as the first week of my long-term sub job (which just ended a week ago). When I got back from Ed Week, my days were booked solid with subbing and seminary. I barely even looked at all the wonderful notes I had taken at Ed Week (many of which dealt with the Doctrine and Covenants and teaching).

This past week was my first week to have "free" time. Monday was glorious. I cleaned the house a little and prepared my seminary lesson without feeling rushed. I spent 3 hours preparing for class, but I wasn't preparing a lesson. I was preparing a way for the students to present the lesson. Crazy, I know.

After almost 2 months of just getting the basics done, yesterday I finally reached the point where I felt I was wasting my "free" time and I was ready to get back into the swing of doing things other than seminary and housework.

I started working on my daughter's scrapbook again (let's see, it's 2014 and I worked on 2006 yesterday. I'm only a little behind.).

I also started looking at ideas for Christmas gifts for my seminary students and my friends. I love Pinterest.

I want to start working on family history research again, too.

And, of course, I want to work on my teaching skills. I love my students. I'm afraid I'm boring and dry at times.

So, fall is here and I'm working on a new set of goals. That'll be a post for another day, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment