Tuesday, January 7, 2020

goals for the new year #strivetobe

(eternal perspective; focus; emphasis; priorities; accomplishing His purposes; learning to be guided by His Spirit; ministering to all; a change in your priorities is repentance; follow through)

One day or day one. It's your choice.

From the Church's "Personal Development Youth Guidebook" 

A Pattern for Growth

DISCOVER your needs, your gifts, your talents (Explore, Study, Imagine, Seek)
Discover what you need to work on. Try asking questions like:
   What do I feel I should learn or change in my life?
   What talents or skills do I want to gain?
   What spiritual habits do I need to develop or improve?
   How can I keep my covenants?
   Who can I serve?

PLAN to improve (Organize, Outline, Prepare)
Plan how you will do it. Try asking questions like:
   Why is this important to me?
   How will this help me become more like Jesus Christ?
   What actions can I take to do this?
   Can I break these actions into smaller steps?
   What plans can I make now to overcome challenges I may face?

ACT to grow in faith (Try, Practice, Do Your Best) 
Act on your plan in faith. If you get stuck, try asking questions like:
   What has worked? Why?
   What has not worked? Why not?
   What else can I try?
   Where could I get more ideas?
   Can I break my goal into smaller steps or actions?
   How can I learn from setbacks?

REFLECT on what you learned (Think, Learn, Review, Ponder)
Reflect on what you have learned. Try asking questions like:
   How have I grown?
   How can I use what I've learned to help others?
   How have my actions helped me become closer to the Savior?
   How can I continue growing in this area?
   

Three areas of application: 1-gospel learning   2-service and activities    3-personal development


What do you feel you should learn or improve?

SPIRITUAL:
   Plan: My goal: Follow the Come, Follow Me reading schedule

            Why is this important to me?
I know it was developed through inspiration and it will help me to grow spiritually.
            How will this help me become more like Jesus Christ?
Being close to the Spirit is Christ-like.
            How will I do it?
Read some each day--the manual and the assignment.
Write in my manual and answer the questions.
Take enough time to do it properly--in other words, take time to ponder before writing answers

SPIRITUAL:
   Plan: My goal: To study General Conference

            Why is this important to me?
The words of the living Prophets are important to me. They will prepare me for the future.
            How will this help me become more like Jesus Christ?
The words of the living Prophets are the words Christ wants me to have.
            How will I do it?
Read, mark, and make lists from each talk I read. 
Make a list of things that I want to do from what I read.


SOCIAL:
   Plan: My goal: Reach out to sisters I minister to as well as friends that I think might need contact.

            Why is this important to me?
Ministering is what we are to do--to love others as the Lord loves us.
            How will this help me become more like Jesus Christ?
I would be doing what He would do.
            How will I do it?
Make contact with my sisters by mailing the announcements, calling/texting to invite to activities. 
Keep in touch with Marge and Gwen as well.
Ponder and pray to see who of my friends might need contact.


PHYSICAL:
   Plan: My goal: To follow Bright Line eating more closely

            Why is this important to me?
to be as healthy as possible for my comfort, financial stability, and to be able to serve better.
            How will this help me become more like Jesus Christ?
He took care of His body and I will be able to serve better.
            How will I do it?
Just do it.
Rewards???

PHYSICAL:
   Plan: My goal: to get more exercise

            Why is this important to me?
to be as healthy as possible for my comfort, financial stability, and to be able to serve better.
            How will this help me become more like Jesus Christ?
He took care of His body and I will be able to serve better.
            How will I do it?
Walk 4 days a week
Start doing some ab exercises maybe on the days I don't walk?


INTELLECTUAL:
   Plan: My goal: To continue to study Chinese

            Why is this important to me?
For some reason I am just very interested in doing this and it brings me joy.
            How will this help me become more like Jesus Christ?
All people are children of God and He communicates with them.
            How will I do it?
Duolingo
Chinese for Dummies
Leitner box flash cards


Other ideas:
SPIRITUAL:
To prepare for April 2020 General Conference
Family History

SOCIAL:
justserve

PHYSICAL:
work on pottery skills

INTELLECTUAL:
piano/organ study
emergency preparedness
cooking skills

No comments:

Post a Comment