Tuesday, May 15, 2012

AP classes--where have all the boys gone?

AP classes boys vs girls...or where have all the boys gone.

I proctored 6 AP tests over the past 1 1/2 weeks. The 2 tests I didn't proctor were physics and stats because my children were taking them. Everyone who took an AP class was required to take the AP exam.

I found the numbers to be lopsided.

subject                #boys      #girls

chemistry               3             11   

calculus                 6              5

English lit              2              20
and comp

US History           3              22

biology                 4              14

US Gov't             15             32
and Politics

I need to ask my kids what the ratio is in their classes. (update: AP physics had 8 boys and 4 girls; AP stats 8 boys and about 8 girls maybe)

Of the tests I gave only 1 had more males than females (calculus). The next closest ratio was in Gov't where there were twice as many girls as guys. Notice there were 10 times more girls than boys in English.

Why aren't more guys taking AP classes? Does it really mean anything that they aren't?

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. Mr. J said in the PIC meeting that it was due to males and video games. Don't know if there is a correlation. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete