My sister, Denise, was asked to speak at a Relief Society Retreat. This is what she presented. It is awesome. She is awesome.
This talk was given
at the RS Retreat on Mt. Charleston in September 2012
by Denise Stoehr,
Lynbrook Ward
Words that Inspire
I was lucky enough to have been able to attend education
week last year and I went to many amazing classes but one in particular has
stayed with me for over a year now, and it has changed my life in so many
positive ways. I don’t think a day goes by that I don’t think about the things
I learned in this series of classes. Much of what I am going to share with you
today comes from those talks given by a BYU professor named Dr. Sherrie Johnson,
Ph. D.
This morning we are going to talk about a very simple
thing….WORDS. If you have you ever been
deeply wounded by words, or inspired by them; if words have ever motivated you,
if words have ever healed your wounded spirit, or your physical body, then you
understand the power of words.
I learned of a researcher named Dr. Emoto. He wanted to
investigate the power of words. He conducted an experiment, where he would
freeze water and he would photograph the microscopic crystals that would form
in the frozen water. He discovered something very interesting. He exposed some
of the water to what we view as positive words, words like joy, hope,
happiness, peace, love, etc. and he found that the ice crystals that formed in
this water were beautiful, perfectly formed crystals, like snowflakes, in beautiful
patterns of whites and blues. He also exposed some of the water to negative
words, such “I hate you, you’re ugly” etc. He was amazed to see that these
crystals were deformed. There were pieces missing; they were asymmetrical, and were
ugly and misshapen. He was convinced
that words in and of themselves have power; either power for good or ill.
Now, there are a lot of scriptures that back this up. This concept
really shouldn’t surprise us.
-Think
of what we read in John 1:1, “In the beginning was the word and the word was
with God and the Word was God.” Words are so significant to Heavenly Father.
that His Son is called the Word. That is one of the titles he has chosen to
give his son.
-How about
Genesis: “God said let there be light
and there was light.”
-Think of the
ordinances in the church: Baptisms, blessing of the sacrament, temple sealings.
These all have exact words that must be said in a certain order, in a certain
way.
Words matter. Words are important.
Words have the power to actually
influence our physical, emotional and spiritual state.
Read page 9 of You Can’t Afford
the Luxury of a Negative Thought (it speaks of picturing yourself biting
into a lemon, and noticing your physical reaction. Also, speaks of thinking of
nails on a blackboard, and even worse…imagining taking an emery board, putting
it in your mouth and then pulling it through your teeth). Awful!!! These
THOUGHTS (which are just WORDS in our head) cause us to have an actual physical
reaction, as though it was really happening.
So, with these examples, I think we
can all agree that thoughts and words have power to influence us.
It is not new to any of us that we should use kind words to
others. That’s not what I’m going to talk about
today. I want to talk about the words we
say to ourselves. If words have power, then we need to be aware
of the words we are telling ourselves, about ourselves. We have to be careful.
Words have a powerful effect your body, your health, your mind, your spirit.
Words have the power to create your moods and your attitude and your reality.
There is a story of two Zen monks, one older and one younger:
In their travels one day, they came across a beautiful woman. It had rained and
there were deep puddles everywhere. The older monk graciously picked up the
young woman and carried her across the puddle. This greatly disturbed the
younger monk. He was upset the rest of the day. Finally at the end of the day,
the older monk asked what was wrong. He said, “You have been so quiet and seem
to be upset. You have not been enjoying this beautiful day and this beautiful
scenery that is all around us. Why?” The
younger one said, “You carried that woman. We took a vow never to even touch a
woman and you picked her up.” “Ahh,
that’s true,” said the older Zen monk, “but I put her down at the edge of the
puddle. YOU have carried her all day.”
Sisters, what do we carry around all day that we
don’t have to? What unnecessary burdens do we carry because of our thoughts? Do
we carry negative thoughts about ourselves? For some of us that is a constant
habit. Please, think deeply about this: If it is not OK for you to constantly
barrage your children, your neighbors, your co-workers, your husband, your
friends, with complaints and name-calling and put-downs, then why in the world
do we think it is Ok to do this to ourselves? Do we really think that our
Father in Heaven is perfectly fine with this? It is just as wrong for us to do
this to ourselves as it would be for us to do this to someone else. YOU ARE A CHILD OF GOD AND YOU SHOULD BE TREATED
THAT WAY, EVEN BY YOURSELF!!
Do you ever feel that
you are wearing a mask, because if you let the real you show, others won’t like
you, love you, appreciate you?? Do we
tell ourselves that we are not good enough? That we will never be good enough?
Are we exhausted trying to hold this mask up? It takes a lot of energy to hold
this mask up all day long, every day. Do
we compare ourselves to others and never measure up? Do we live out our days in
angst and vexation? These are such a great words, angst and vexation. So many
of us live life like this. Are we
anxious and fearful? Are we “careful and troubled about many things," as Martha
is the New Testament? Sister Hinckley
once said, “We woman have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have
to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable
for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We
have to be content with what we are.”
Wow! This is powerful. If we could learn to do this, we could at last put
down our mask!
If we are living our lives in angst and vexation, then we
have to take a careful look at the words we are telling ourselves…it starts
there. We have to look at the words that we are using to create our
reality.
As mortals, we do feel pain. There really is no way to avoid
pain altogether on this earth. Some of it is necessary pain (our bodies can
become sick, or injured; we live with the effects of the fall every day. We
live in an imperfect world and things can go wrong that cause psychological
pain, spiritual pain, social pain, etc.).
But, a lot of the pain we experience is UNNECCESARY pain. This is the
kind of pain we feel that comes from words that we tell ourselves. This kind of
pain comes from focusing on the “should” in our lives (which we’ll talk about
in more detail in a moment).
We’ve all heard that thoughts (words in our mind) lead to
actions, and actions lead to habits, and habits lead to character. The words in
our minds and the words that we say out loud about ourselves influence who we
are becoming. We cannot afford the luxury of a negative thought. If we really
knew the effect that negative words were having on us, we would stop. If you watch your words, your actions will
take care of themselves.
Alma 32 compares the word to a seed. Alma 32:
31: says that “every seed bringeth forth unto its own likeness.” If we replace the word seed with “word,” it
states that, “every WORD bringeth forth unto its own likeness.” What goes around, comes around!
Self-fulfilling prophecy! I am a big
believer in Karma, but was a little nervous about whether or not Karma is an LDS
doctrine. I was recently doing a deep
study of Alma and found this in Alma 41:15:
“…for that which ye do send out, shall return unto you again…” What a perfect
description of Karma! So the words that we are producing about ourselves will
come back…either to hurt us or to bless and uplift us. Your words/thoughts create your reality. What
kind of reality do you want to create for yourself? An environment of warmth,
forgiveness, charity, mercy? Or angst and vexation fear and worry? It's really
all up to us. And think about which environment the Lord would want for you?
That’s an easy answer…which environment would you like for your loved ones?
In D&C 93:24 it
states that, “Truth is knowledge of things as
they are, as they were and as they are to come. “Notice it does not
say that truth is knowledge of things as we really, really wish they were or as
we think they SHOULD BE. We have a lot of SHOULDS in our lives and I think we
torture ourselves with our SHOULDS.
Let me clarify something right now, before I go on, so no
one will misunderstand. When I am talking about SHOULDS for the next few
minutes, I am talking about the things that we do NOT have control over,
but there are SHOULDS in our lives that we DO have control over. For
example, we should attend church, we should pay our tithing, and we should have
home evening. These are good “shoulds” as they guide us to happy living. If you
get a prompting that says “You should go to the temple this weekend” that’s probably
the Holy Ghost trying to help you and influence you to do something that will
only bring you happiness. THOSE “shoulds” we must listen to and try to get
better at heeding. The kinds of “shoulds” that I am talking about now are the
kinds of “shoulds” we have no control over.
We cause ourselves a lot of UNNECESSARY pain and vexation,
and anxiety, and fear, sadness, and worry when we focus on what we think SHOULD
be that maybe isn’t. Think of all the “shoulds”
in our lives. Some of them are
mere annoyances, not too serious, such as “Why does there have to be a traffic
jam today of all days? This should not be happening. This lady in line should
not be taking so long. The waiter should not have gotten my order wrong. My friend should not have hurt my feelings;
my boss should appreciate me more."
Some are more serious in nature: “My son should have gone on
a mission, my daughter should have gotten married in the temple, my husband
should not have lost his job. I should not have gotten sick.” “Should” is a dangerous word …WHY? Because the spirit resides in truth
(and remember, truth is things are they ARE,
not as we think they SHOULD
be). If we want to be where the spirit
is, we must remain in truth. D&C 84:45 says, “For the word of
the Lord is truth, and whatsoever is truth is light and whatsoever is light is
spirit…” So, if a=b, and b=c, then a=c: TRUTH IS SPIRIT AND SPIRIT IS TRUTH…so the
spirit resides in things as they ARE.
When we insist on focusing on the way we WISH things were, the “shoulds and the
“should nots,” we are outside of the realm of the spirit. How often have you
felt the spirit when you are in fear, when you are worrying, fretting,
murmuring, when you are anxious and complaining? We don’t. We don’t feel the
spirit then because the spirit resides in truth.
D&C 93: 25
says: “Whatsoever is more or less than
this is the spirit of the wicked one which was a liar from the beginning.”
Wow..so truth is things as they are and anything more or less than this comes
from the adversary!
When we stop fretting about things we have no control over, we
are free to live in truth and then the Holy Ghost is free to influence us,
guide us, and to help us decide what to do if anything about a situation.
So, again, I don’t want you to misunderstand me, I am not
saying that we stop caring. I’m not saying, “We don’t have control over that person
or that situation, so I’ll pretend I don’t care.” We should not live in
denial. What I am saying is when something unpleasant
is happening, we can use words to say to ourselves, “This is happening, I have
everything I need in this moment to be guided by the Lord,” and then open
yourself up to the spirit for inspiration. Use prayer. Sometimes there is something that we can do,
sometimes there may not be anything we can do at that moment, but you will be
calm enough to hear the whisperings of the Holy Ghost, either way.
So, when we are aware that we are giving ourselves
unnecessary pain, we need to look at the words we are telling ourselves. Here
is some last advice about how to do this:
1)
Follow
Elder Wirthlin’s advice…”Come what may and love it,” he said. Realize
through self-talk that life is a miracle. Even on a “terrible, horrible, no
good very bad day,” life is amazing! Learn to embrace all of our experiences
for the miracle it is just to be here. Learn to appreciate all of the learning
we are doing here. Develop your faith in God’s plan!
2)
Anchor
yourself. This means to be aware of the present moment. When you recognize that
you are slipping into negativity and vexing yourself by the SHOULDS, use your
five senses to ground yourself in the moment, to ground yourself to the now, to
truth. Soak in the sounds you may be hearing, the sights, the colors around
you, be aware of the fabric of your shirt. This puts you in “neutral” and helps you to remain calm
and helps you to see the big picture. Everything
you need in that moment will be given to you. I know this sounds kind of
hokey..but I promise it really works.!! I remember one night, I was in the
kitchen preparing dinner and one of my sons came in to talk to me. What he was
telling me was not making me very happy, and I was starting to get very uptight
and vexed about it. As I listened, I grounded myself in the moment by letting
myself become aware of the beautiful colors of the peppers I was cutting up at
the time. The bright yellow and red colors against the pure, white cutting
board became so brilliant and beautiful to me. In the second or two that that
took, I was reminded of the big picture of how beautiful life is and how great
it is just to be alive. That allowed me to settle my nerves, listen more calmly
to my son, and allowed me to hear the inspiration of the spirit that helped me
with the rest of that conversation. If I had let myself continue to grow in
anxiety and stress, I know I would not have responded in the best way, because
it would have been harder for me to feel the spirit.
3)
Re-write
the story. This means, when you find yourself getting upset and all worked
up about something; make up a reasonable explanation as to why that upsetting
thing happened. For example, if someone doesn’t say hi to you in the
hall…instead, of thinking, “Boy, why is she mad at me? What did I do to offend her?” etc., you can
say, “Maybe she just got some bad news. I hope she’s OK.” If someone cuts you off on the freeway, you
can allow yourself to waste precious time and energy by getting upset and vexed
or you can rewrite the story, “Maybe his wife is in labor and they are trying
to get to the hospital.” This is one of the most powerful techniques (and my
personal favorite) because as soon as you come up with a more charitable reason
for something happening, it instantly changes your feelings about a situation.
4)
Affirmative
self-talk. Instead of saying to
yourself things like, “I can’t believe I did that or said that. What is wrong
with me? I am such an idiot,” we can
say, “I made a mistake. I should not have done that. I have learned from this.
Next time, I will____.” No longer allow yourself to beat yourself up. When you
find yourself doing it..STOP IT!!
5)
Gospel
principals-Don’t forget about true gospel principals that we learn about
every week! Live your life in gratitude! Strive to develop faith, learn to
forgive (yourself and others both), repent, come to the sacrament table with a
broken heart and a contrite spirit to renew your covenants, pray, feast on the scriptures,
etc. These are tools given to us by the
Lord to help us stay in truth. To stay where the spirit is!
Sisters, we must be aware of the words we are telling
ourselves. We cannot afford the luxury of a negative thought because it is too
costly! We will catch ourselves many times falling out of the realm of truth
into the illusion of the “shoulds” but we can learn to use the tools that will
help us break this habit and to stay in truth, where the spirit is. I know we
can, because the Lord loves us and will help us to do so! I say these things in
the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment