Found out, according to one source, that beans can cause inflammation. As well as gluten products. I'm thinking if you are allergic to those things they will cause inflammation in your body, but if you're not allergic, then they are fine (of course I realize some are allergic and don't even realize). I would find out if I were allergic before swearing off these foods. The same goes for the nightshades, especially tomatoes. Tomatoes are supposed to be very good for you and so I wouldn't give them up unless I knew for sure that they cause me problems.
This next week I'm planning on looking at cholesterol. I think in the end I'll make a chart to keep things straight.
Inflammation:
Researchers have learned that COX-2 enzymes become more active and cause more inflammation when you take in more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3 fatty acids.
Omega-6 fatty acids are found in corn, sunflower, safflower, soybean and cottonseed oils and are prevalent in many snack foods, fried foods, margarines and other spreads. (They’re also in egg yolks and meats.) In fact, many of the foods that people overindulge in during “snack attacks” are linked to increasing inflammation and obesity. Interestingly, inflammation is connected to obesity – and obesity to arthritis – because fat cells can produce cytokines (proteins that encourage inflammation). Foods high in trans fats create LDL'S, or “bad cholesterol,” which feeds inflammation in the arteries.
Eat more veggies, fruit, nuts, tea and even dark chocolate. Many plant-based foods contain antioxidants and phytochemicals, both of which may decrease the activity of the COX-2 enzyme, reducing inflammation. And don’t forget to load up on omega-3 fatty acids, found in fish like salmon and tuna.
This is something new I hadn't heard before:
The foods that cause inflammation are organ meats, egg yolks (Unbroken egg yolks are fine. When the yolks are broken when you scramble them the cholesterol in the yolks are then oxidized. The yolks then produce toxic cholesterol by-products. It is important to keep the yolks in tact. So poach or hard boil them). (of course, due to my cholesterol problems, I rarely eat egg yolks, but thought that was very interesting...and I wonder if it's true...)
No-nos:
refined, processed foods and animal products
Some of the primary dietary offenders: * Unhealthy fats. Trans fats and other hydrogenated oils are the primary offenders. And omega-6 fats in corn, safflower and other vegetable oils, while not unhealthy, can contribute to inflammation if eaten in excess.
Refined carbohydrates. Anything with white sugar and white flour.
Animal products. Meat, poultry, eggs and shellfish are all high in arachidonic acid, a compound that contributes to inflammation. When eating animal foods, choose fish, white meat chicken and nonfat dairy products to lower arachidonic acid consumption.
Gluten. Wheat and many other grains, like rye, barley and spelt, contain a protein called gluten that may be associated with inflammation. A surprise to many is that even whole grains and legumes (beans) can promote inflammation.
Nightshades. Potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants and peppers are members of the nightshade family and contain a compound called solanine that can trigger inflammation in some people.
Citrus fruits
Please eat:
In general, focus on healthful fats, especially omega-3 fatty acids and monounsaturated fats in olive oil; eat antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables; and include pungent foods and spices that have inflammation-fighting effects.
Salmon, tuna, trout, herring, sardines and mackerel
Walnuts (nuts and seeds), peanuts, pistachios, almonds
A number of studies have shown that cocoa can reduce the risk of heart disease.
Onions are high in quercetin. Other good sources of quercetin include apples, broccoli, red wine, red grapes or grape juice and tea.
Blueberries are loaded with anthocyanins,Other good sources of polyphenols include blackberries. strawberries, raspberries and cranberries Researchers suspect that one protective mechanism is the anti-inflammatory action of this antioxidant-packed red berry. It’s also been shown to reduce LDL levels.
Cherries
Sweet potatoes. Other good sources of carotenoids are deep orange red, yellow and green fruits and vegetables, such as carrots, winter squash, red peppers, mangoes and papayas.
Spinach. Other green leafies that are great for immunity are
Kale
Chard
Turnip greens
Mustard greens
Broccoli
Garlic, Ginger, Hot Chilis, Tumeric (Curry powder), Oregano
Pineapple (fresh) (but another site says that citrus worsens inflammation and I know that's true with me)
Canola Oil (not heated)
We eat too little omega-3 and too much omega-6 fatty acids because of corn and soybean oils in margarine, candy, crackers and processed foods. The fatty acids compete in the body for enzymes: Omega-3 fats yield anti-inflammatory compounds; omega-6 fats give us inflammation.
The best oils/fats to use in moderation are
Extra-virgin olive oil
Coconut oil
Butter (which of course is on the no-no list for cholesterol reasons, but I believe it is better than margarine)
Grass-fed beef
meat from leaner cattle grazing on grass have higher levels of vital nutrients — vitamin E and omega-3s.
Some of my sources:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FKA/is_4_69/ai_n19020308/?tag=content;col1
http://www.arthritistoday.org/conditions/rheumatoid-arthritis/healthy-living/ra-foods-that-fight-inflammation.php
http://www.aboutinflammation.com/foodsthatcauseinflammation.html
No comments:
Post a Comment