Wednesday, February 16, 2011

what foods are on both the cholesterol and the inflammation lists?

My lists for "good" and "bad" foods aren't definitive, or even correct...I originally saw beans on one site being listed as "might cause inflammation" and this morning I saw beans listed on another site as an inflammation  fighter...I switching it to the "good" side of the list. I also believe in eating whole grains unless you are allergic to them.

I compared the 2 lists I had made and came up with 3 categories: opposite results (one list says to avoid and the other says to embrace), on both "avoid" lists, and  on both "please eat" lists.

“Avoid” on one list but “please eat" on the other:

Butter (cholesterol avoid vs inflammation embrace)
Citrus fruits (inflammation avoid vs cholesterol embrace)
Peppers (inflammation avoid) vs  red peppers (cholesterol embrace)
Whole grains (inflammation avoid vs cholesterol embrace)


“Avoid” on both lists:

Egg yolks
Meats/Fatty meats
Simple carbs (white sugar, white flour)
Transfatty acids


“Please eat” on both lists:

Olive oil (extra-virgin)
Omega-3 fats

Fatty fish
Mackerel trout
Herring
Sardines
Tuna
Salmon

Beans (legumes)

Almonds
Ground flax seed (eating flax seed without grinding it is useless as your body can't break down it's husk)
Hazelnuts
Peanuts
Pecans
Pine nuts
Pistachio nuts
Walnuts

Dark chocolate

Apples
Blueberries
Cranberries (for inflammation) vs cranberry juice (for cholesterol)
Grapes (red) and grape juice
Sweet potatoes
Garlic
Ginger
Tumeric

(canola oil was on both lists for some sites, yet there seems to be a lot of controversy about it, so I'm just leaving it here at the bottom)

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever read Dr Oz's book? He talks a LOT about immflamation. I have the book if you would like to borrow it. I do remember sugar being one of his biggest no-no's. Thanks for all the info! I learned a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which book? I have "You on a Diet" but I haven't read it recently.

    ReplyDelete