Sunday, February 6, 2011

health and some goals

I had my cholesterol and thyroid (TSH) levels checked and Glen got his cholesterol and prostate (PSA) levels checked. Glen's numbers are beautiful. Mine aren't. Cholesterol: 269. Triglycerides: 219 (<149 is preferred). And for the first time my TSH is now high at 6.6 (.34-5.6 being the acceptable range).

Last summer I was walking 6 days a week, drinking my fiber everyday, eating an apple every day, taking my niacin pills at night, and being a little bit careful with what I eat. My cholesterol was 203 (which is the lowest it's been in years). I am not walking and irregularly take my fiber, my apple, niacin, and am not too careful in what I've been eating. I guess it shows. I have got to get back on track.

Of course, besides my blood panel numbers rising, so is my weight. The one number that isn't rising is my blood pressure, so I'm happy for that. My arthritis is acting up a bit, too.

Anyway, I've been thinking a lot lately about things like food storage, eating healthily, and finances.

Food storage of some healthy items (brown rice, fresh fruits and vegetables) just doesn't work. How can I build up my food storage with healthy foods, eat right, and still stay within my budget?

How can I bring more beans and grains into our diet? Red beans and rice, bean soup, and refried beans...my recipe box is slim in the bean category.

Grains? I keep wanting to try different grains. I buy them and then they sit in my pantry.

What will it take for me to get my act together and actually do what I just keep thinking about? I need more time and/or money. That would help. Don't think that's going to happen, though.

So, maybe a lesson in psychology. How do you get motivated?

Zig Zigler says, "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing.. that's why we recommend it daily."

I will say I have some friends who are currently working on their food storage and others working on their health. Others examples are helping me to want to try. One friend recently posted that she learned from her trainer that most of your carbs should be eaten before 11 am. I tried that yesterday. I will have to play closer attention to when I eat my carbs.
So, what other goals can I set for myself for this week to help me "do" instead of just "think"? Perhaps it should start with education. 

I need to look up the foods that cause and that fight inflammation and that help and hurt cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

I need to find some recipes for beans and whole grains.

I know I also have to buy and/or make healthier snacks.

I can see myself doing that. I also need to start exercising again, but I'm having a hard time picturing that happening. I did start up again over Christmas break, but it was short-lived. I wish I could just go outside and walk alone here, but I don't feel safe. I could drag Eric with me on the days I'm not subbing. Or I could drive the 15 minutes to the park and walk. But I have a hard time picturing that too. I hate spending almost as much time driving to exercise as I spend exercising. And if I'm working that day, I feel like I don't have the time. I'll have to ponder this a bit more. Maybe while Eric is in class I could do something.

Maybe I need to post this on my fridge again:

Those who don't find time for exercise will sooner or later will have to find time for illness.


No comments:

Post a Comment